Monday, August 12, 2013

Upcycled Shoe Box

 Handsome Rob is not just another pretty face.  This man is a wood working machine.  Someday, I should take the time to photograph and brag on some of the very cool things he has created around our house.

 I have a tendency to collect garbage discarded treasures from the side of the road.  He has a tendency to roll his eyes, but then allow me to store such treasures in his garage.  Every once in awhile, we collaborate forces and create something awesome together.

The wood for this project was originally a neighbor's fence.  We built it into a giant birdhouse/playhouse for the girls to romp around in the garden.  They didn't really play with it, so I tore it down one morning so I could make a piece of art for the living room.  (You can see that crafty delight in a previous post from a few days ago, my daughters are sporting mustaches in the foreground.)  Rob used the remaining scraps to build this beauty.
 I thought it needed a little extra personality.  I saw an old Converse shipping crate, and was close to copying that image.  Since I'm the only one in this family that sports the Chuck Taylors, I thought we'd just come up with our own brand.



 Before winter, I'm hoping we can come up with a coordinating coat rack/shelf piece to hang above it.

No comments: